At the Sakharov Congress Stanislaw Shushkevich, then Prorector of Belarus State University, later chairman of the Belarus Supreme Soviet, asked Professor Richard Wilson, a director of the Andrei Sakharov Foundation (USA), to chair the International Advisory Committee for the Sakharov College of Radioecology. The College was subsequently created by the act of the Council of Ministers of Belarus (No 20, January 20, 1992) and opened its doors in Minsk later that year. Elena Bonner also serves on the seven-person Advisory Committee and the close ties between the Minsk Institute, The Sakharov Foundation(Russia)/Public Commission and ASF (USA) have been maintained.
The college opened its doors to students in summer 1992, and the first class of 40 students graduated in July 1995. Presently about 500 students are studying various aspects of radiation ecology with a sound grounding in physics and chemistry (for the complete information on the college’s offerings, see the college’s site at http://www.isir.minsk.by.
In 1994 the College changed its name to the International Institute of Radioecology and became formally separate from the Belarussian State University with which it had been associated before. In 1999 it became the International Sakharov Environmental University (ISEU).
The first Rector of the College was Dr. Alexander Lutsko. His sudden tragic death in September 1997 was a great loss to the institution he helped to create. Current Rector is Dr. Alexander Milyutin (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
The college is advised by an International Advisory Committee:
- Chairman. Dr. Med Edmund Lengfelder,
- Professor, Universitat Munchen
- Richard Wilson
- Mallinckrodt professor of Physics, Harvard University (Chairman) (use Email ASF to send message to Prof. Wilson).
- Elena Bonner
- MD, Moscow, Chairman, The Andrei Sakharov Foundation
- Dr Alexander Korovin
- Medical Research Unit MRRC, Obninsk, Russia
- Dr. Yuri Samodurov
- Director, The Andrei Sakharov Museum and Community Center
- Dr Frantisek Janouch
- Siegbahn Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- Dr Anthony Mercer
- Kingston University, UK
- Alexander N. Rukhlya
- Director of Main Department of International Relations, Belarus State University
- Dr. Piotr Garncarek
- First Secretary of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Belarus
- Philippe Baveye, Ph.D.
- Professor of Environmental Phisics and Toxicology, Department of Agricultural and Biologycal Engineering, Cornell University
- Professor Dr. Rainer Frentzel-Beyme
- Chief of the Division Of Environmental and Occupation Epidemoilogy Bremen Institute of Prevention Research and Social Medicine (BIPS) And Head of the Department of Environmental Epidemiology, Centre of Environmental Research and Tecnology, University of Bremen